Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another visit to RHS Rosemoor


Whilst in the area last weekend we made another brief visit to RHS Rosemoor, at Great Torrington , North Devon. In my earlier blog on 27th October 2006 I talked about fungi and lichens I had seen there. Now in the spring time its very early in the growing season and the rose displays are all only a future dream. However perhaps because the vegetation was fairly sparse I noticed the insect shown in these photographs.

I'm convinced I haven't seen them before but if so it is just a lack of looking because they are apparently quite common. The are the Large bee-fly, Bombylius major as I have now discovered via the Internet. These photos are credited to: Keith Edkins: Here is a link to the web site.
Keith Edkins">


Just to reinforce my lack of observation as soon as I returned home and walked round our garden I immediately saw another specimen for the first time. They are fascinating creatures and like the humming bird hawk moth seen last summer amazing in their flight control for feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment